but i was checking my mail, and this is share-worthy. (:
The Wooden Bowl
I guarantee you will remember the tale of the Wooden Bowl
tomorrow, a week from now, a month from now, a year from now.
A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in-law, and four-year - old grandson.
The old man's hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and his step faltered.
The family ate together at the table. But the elderly grandfather's shaky hands and
failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor.
When he grasped the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.
The son and daughter-in-law became irritated with the mess.
'We must do something about father,' said the son.
'I've had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating, and food on the floor.'
So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner.
There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner.
Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food was served in a wooden bowl.
When the family glanced in Grandfather's direction, sometimes he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone.
Still, the only words the couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he dropped a fork or spilled food.
The four-year-old watched it all in silence.
One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor.
He asked the child sweetly, 'What are you making?' Just as sweetly, the boy responded,
'Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when I grow up.
' The four-year-old smiled and went back to work.
The words so struck the parents so that they were speechless.
Then tears started to stream down their cheeks.
Though no word was spoken, both knew what must be done.
That evening the husband took Grandfather's hand and gently led him back to the family table.
For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family. And for some reason,
neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled.
On a positive note, I've learned that, no matter what happens,
how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles four things:
a rainy day, the elderly, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
I've learned that, regardless of your relationship with your parents,
you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.
I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as making a 'life..'
I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back
I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you
But, if you focus on your family, your friends, the needs of others,
your work and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you
I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
I've learned that every day, you should reach out and touch someone.
People love that human touch -- holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.
(:
though im not christian, this story is nice, too (:
Ruth went to her mail box and there was only one letter. She picked it up and looked at it before opening, but then she
looked at the envelope again.
There was no stamp, no postmark, only her name and address. She read the letter:
Dear Ruth:
I`m going to be in your neighborhood Saturday afternoon and I'd like to stop by for a visit.
Love Always, Jesus
Her hands were shaking as she placed the letter on the table. 'Why would the Lord want to visit me? I'm nobody special. I don't have anything to offer.'
With that thought, Ruth remembered her empty kitchen cabinets. 'Oh my goodness, I really don't have anything to offer. I'll
have to run down to the store and buy something for dinner.' She reached for her purse and counted out its contents. Five dollars and forty cents. 'Well, I can get some bread and cold cuts, at least.'
She threw on her coat and hurried out the door.
A loaf of French bread, a half-pound of sliced turkey,
and a carton of milk....leaving Ruth with grand total twelve cents to
last her until Monday.
Nonetheless, she felt good as she headed home, her meagre offerings tucked under her arm.
'Hey lady, can you help us, lady?'
Ruth had been so absorbed in her dinner plans, she hadn't even noticed two figures huddled in the alleyway. A man and a woman, both of them
dressed in little more than rags
'Look lady, I ain't got a job, ya know, and my wife and I have been living out here on the street, and, well, now it's
getting cold and we're getting kinda hungry and, well, if you could help us. Lady, we'd really appreciate it.'
Ruth looked at them both.
They were dirty, they smelled bad and frankly, she was certain that they could get some kind of work if they really wanted to.
'Sir, I'd like to help you, but I'm a poor woman myself. All I have is a few cold cuts and some bread, and I'm having an important guest for
dinner tonight and I was planning on serving that to Him.'
'Yeah, well, okay lady, I understand. Thanks anyway.'
The man put his arm around the woman's shoulders, turned and headed back into the alley.
As she watched them leave, Ruth felt a familiar twinge in her heart.
'Sir, wait!' The couple stopped and turned as she ran down the alley after them. 'Look, why don't you take this food. I'll
figure out something else to serve my guest.'
She handed the man her grocery bag.
'Thank you lady. Thank you very much!'
'Yes, thank you!' It was the man's wife, and Ruth could see now that she was shivering. 'You know, I've got another coat at home. Here, why don't you take this one.' Ruth unbuttoned her jacket and slipped it over the woman's shoulders. Then smiling, she turned and walked back to the street...without her coat and with nothing to serve her guest.
'Thank you lady!
Thank you very much!'
Ruth was chilled by the time she reached her front door, and worried too. The Lord was coming to visit and she didn't have anything to offer Him.
She fumbled through her purse for the door key. But as she did, she noticed another envelope in her mailbox.
'That's odd. The mailman doesn't usually come twice in one day.' She took the envelope out of the box and opened it.
Dear Ruth:
It was so good to see you again. Thank you for the lovely meal. And
thank you, too, for the beautiful coat.
Love Always Jesus
The air was still cold, but even without her coat, Ruth no longer noticed.
and this.
what love means to KIDS.
What does Love mean?
A Group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds,
'What does love mean?'
The answers they got were broader and deeper than
Anyone could have imagined. See what you think:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'When my Grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails
Anymore.
So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his Hands got arthritis too. That's love.'
Rebecca- age 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'When
Someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.
You just know
That your name is safe in their mouth.'
Billy - age 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
When a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out
And smell each other.'
Karl - age 5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
When you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without
Making them give you any of theirs.'
Chrissy - age 6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
What makes you smile when you're tired.'
Terri - age 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
When my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to
Him, to make sure the taste is OK.'
Danny - age 7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
When you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want
To be together and you talk more.
My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They
Look gross when they kiss'
Emily - age 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and
Listen.'
Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'If you
Want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate,'
Nikka - age 6
(we need a few million
More Nikka's on this planet)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
When you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday.'
Noelle - age 7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
Like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after
They know each other so well.'
Tommy - age 6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'During
My piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people
Watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling.
He was the only one
Doing that. I wasn't scared anymore.'
Cindy - age 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'My mommy
Loves me more than anybody
You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep
At night.'
Clare - age 6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
When Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken.'
Elaine-age 5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than
Robert Redford.'
Chris - age 7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day'
Mary Ann - age 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'I know
my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go
out and buy new ones.'
Lauren - age 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'When you
love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you.'
(what an image)
Karen - age 7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Love is
when Mommy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross.'
Mark - age 6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you
should say it a lot. People forget.'
Jessica - age 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the
final one -- Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he
was asked to judge.
The purpose of the contest was to find the most
caring child.
The
winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly
gentleman who had recently lost his wife.
Upon seeing the man cry, the
little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.
When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the
little boy said,
'Nothing, I just helped him cry'
if only everyone could be like kids.
the world would be a much, better place.
(:
last one.
Once upon a time there was an island where all
the feelings lived: happiness, sadness, knowledge, and all the
others, including love.One day it was announced to all of the feelings
that the island was going to sink to the bottom
of the ocean.
So all the feelings prepared their boats to
leave.Love was the only one that stayed.
She wanted to preserve the island paradise, until the last possible moment.
When the island was almost totally under, Love decided it was time to leave.
She began looking for someone to ask for help.
Just then Richness was passing by in a grand boat.Love asked, 'Richness, Can I come with you on your boat?'
Richness answered, ' I'm sorry, but there is a lot of
silver and gold on my boat and there would be no
room for you anywhere.'
Then Love decided to ask Vanity for help who was
passing in a beautiful vessel.
Love cried out, 'Vanity, help me please.'
'I can't help you', Vanity said, 'You are all wet and will damage my beautiful boat.'
Next, Love saw Sadness passing by.
Love said, 'Sadness, please let me go with you.'
Sadness answered, 'Love, I'm sorry, but, I just need to be alone now.'
Then, Love saw Happiness. Love cried out, ' Happiness, please take me with you.'
But Happiness was so overjoyed that he didn't hear Love calling to him.Love began to cry.
Then, she heard a voice say,
'Come Love, I will take you with me.' It was an elder.
Love felt so blessed and overjoyed that she forgot to ask the elder his name.When they arrived on land the elder went on his way.
Love realized how much she owed the elder.
Love then found Knowledge and asked,
'Who was it that helped me?''It was Time', Knowledge answered.
'But why did Time help me when no one else would?', Love asked.
Knowledge smiled and with deep wisdom and sincerity answered,
'Because only Time is capable of understanding how great Love is.'
'when u've found the right person you want to be with in your life, take the risk, never take them for granted because when you lose that person, the world is too big that you'll have to search all over again.'
'love is like the rose that is full of thorns..but no matter how painful it gets you...embrace it...for within those thorns is a love that is worth fighting for.(:
okay, enough of emails.
i should be getting back to maths.
(:
No comments:
Post a Comment